Geeks are cool. There is no doubt about it. Lately though, it seems that the general public is realizing this as well. You can see it on TV, in papers and magazines, hear it on the radio and most importantly, find it on the web. It really was a matter of time before they caught on. There is a big shift from the Revenge of the nerds’ character Lewis Skolnick stereotype to the modern geek equivalent. Don’t be mistaken, those guys still exist, but they get harder to find every year. (Thank God!)
This is not really a marketing post but more of a general awareness post of a subculture that needs to be known. In the coming years, this group of people will grow dramatically and it will be useful to know how to communicate with them.
I don’t consider myself a nerd; I’m more of a freak or geek. However I do know something about nerd culture and trends. Of course, these trends change hourly and I might offend some persons when describing different parts of the culture. This is also a very very broad generalization, so if you have anything to add: please let me know!
Here are some things you might like to know:
Geek topics of conversation
- Star Trek/Wars
- Games (computer or advance board games)
- T-shirts proclaiming nerd-hood. Mostly captioned
- I’m only here because my server is down
- I’m not a geek, I’m a level 12 paladin
- Jesus saves
- There’s no place like 127.0.0.1
- Obey gravity! It’s the law!
- I failed the Turing test
- A Casio watch used to be the standard, now I don’t think a watch is necessary anymore.
- Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy – Douglas Adams
- Anything from Asimov
- Dune – Frank Herbert
- Lord of the Rings – J.R. Tolkien
- Ender’s Game series – Orson Scott Card
- Cryptonomicon – Neal Stephenson
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M. Pirsig
- Nineteen Eighty-Four — George Orwell
- Brave New World — Aldous Huxley
- Neuromancer — William Gibson
- Any Terry Pratchett book
- Any Philip K. Dick book
Geek TV series
- Star Trek
- Dr. Who
- Buffy, the vampire slayer
- Batlestar Galactica
- IT Crowd
- Red Dwarf
- Black Adder
- Animated comics (Thundercats, spiderman, les chevaliers du zodiac, Dragonball Z, …)
- Anime series
- Flash Gordon
- Soylent Green
- The princess bride
- Office space
- Shaun of the dead
- The fifth element
- War games
- 12 monkeys
- All Monty Python movies
- Blade Runner
- Logan’s run
- The cube (series)
- Weird science
- The cake is a lie
- All your base are belong to us
- We’re going to need a bigger boat.
- Danger Will Robinson! Danger!
- Kneel before Zod!
- This spoon is to big
- There is no spoon
There will be many things missing, so please don’t be offended and just add them in a comment. I will try to keep the list up to date as much as possible.