This is the mandatory controversial post. Since I am Belgian, I took the Catholic Church as an example. I don’t want to offend anybody, but I’m pretty sure I will.
This is why there will always be some company better at marketing than yours. The church is a pretty good example.
- The product is free. No purchase necessary but you might as well buy if you don’t want the angry looks of your peers, you’d better invest.
- If you “buy” not only good things come of it (like when you buy other products) but bad things will be averted also.
- There is no question whether the message is real or not. They get their information from a higher power, so it’s no use trying to argue about it.
- It has a great network in place. There are plenty of brand ambassadors. They work globally and have no problem in translating their concept to other markets.
- They don’t have to worry about media costs. The viewers want to hear their message themselves. They listen to it every week, a more steady audience you’ll be hard pressed to find.
- Word of mouth promotion is through the roof. The message has been around so long that everyone knows it and a lot of people like to talk about it a lot too.
- Brand recognition is better than any brand ever. The church is always first in the polls on this issue.
- Product innovation is not necessary. Only a tweak here and there to keep up is enough.
- When another version of the product is released, they are guaranteed to be in the news, so free publicity is no issue either.
- The corporate identity is extremely strong. You can’t beat the theatrics and recognition of a cathedral, church or cross.
- And last but not least. How about this for brand connection: the corporate headquarters is a tourist attraction.
There probably are a lot more things I can put in this.
Do you know more?
Let me know!